Sunday, April 8

Attempt at a Rebuttal

After having read Michelle's silly note concerning the amount of delusion one can get from video games, I decided that it would be quite fun to try and contest that.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

Rummaging through my closet (and a few dust bunnies that have settled in the undisturbed areas), I find the box that contained a lot of childhood memories, bittersweet or just bitter. And I found it. I found my weapon against Pug, Poonie, Poon-face, HP Poopie-face, Poopie-face, or Michelle: my old pal, N64.

I plug that baby up to my TV and am ready to show that that old demon no longer holds control over me. Now, before you get your undies all tied up, I know that Michelle mentioned specifically "children". Just to let you know, I have the mind of a 5-year-old. Why else would I be using this time to type about video games? I could be out saving the world, people. But no, I choose to... anyway.

Not exactly sure of the games that once kept my interest for more than 5 hours, I grab the one closest to the top of the pile: Diddy Kong Racing. The gear's ready, controller in hand (the clear purple one, because I'm pretty G), and I turn it on.

Wow.

Technology and graphics sure have come a looong way. Not only was the quality quite horrible, but the ultimate complexities were quite lost on me after having witnessed many video game sessions played out by my nephew on his latest goods. This game truly did belong in the '90s.

But as I bore with it, my purpose to prove Michelle wrong was lost amidst the sharply-angular characters. Yes, they may have their rough edges, but... they were completely adorable-- except for that crocodile/alligator. I wonder why "Crunk" keeps popping up as his name. Hm. But if memory serves me, my favorite then (and now) is Conker, that feisty little fox. In his white little car or his white plane, he never ceases to bring out the inner elementary-schooler within me.

And so it was off to races. I fell deeper and deeper, fully and subconsciously embracing the inner-child. It was fun.

And so, Michelle, I tip my hat to you. Although I don't think any of that MJ requires some sense of clear-mindedness, I give you this...

Drugs and apparently video games get people high.