Wednesday, May 16

So Tell Me, What is Friendship?

And so she begins with another teenage rant concerning the faults of society and those around her. Really, will she ever grow up? Nope. I refuse.

Being the absolute sloth that I am, I began thinking about certain people and how my feelings for them have changed over time. Unfortunately, I couldn't help but notice that I grew sadder and sadder as the seconds continued to tick away. Not only did the distance between certain people and me grow, but the "strong links" that supposedly kept us together seemed to have worn thin with time.

I have pondered upon my friendships with people from high school and have expressed lonely thoughts about it and voiced my worries of certain things not lasting. Being me, I even attempted to suppress the thoughts because, hey, like I should care at this point in time, right? Wrong. People, friends, say and claim to keep in touch, to always be friends but really, what do those words mean? Now that I think about it, those words are only said when people are still in close proximity with each other. Not until their friendships and connections are strained are those words put to the test. In the certain cases I've pondered on, those words seem like nothing now.

Will we really still be friends when we all leave? You say I love you now and that We'll keep in touch but... even in the few weeks we haven't spoken, things have already been thinning our amity.

So I question the value of friendships. I question the meaning of certain adorations exchanged amongst peers. Are you really going to stick to that? Or do you plan on telling me that you'll miss me now and forget about me when we grow up?

Deep down, these thoughts only deepen my cynicism in that now it includes people close to my heart. No matter how much I wish that some will stay in my life, I've come to accept the inevitable: out of all the people I've known throughout high school, I'll probably only continue speaking to one. It's not out of personal choice. I no longer see the point in trying.

I fear for my generation.