Monday, May 12

Oh Joy for Another Paradox



It is 2 hours and 7 minutes past midnight, and I type aimlessly away at my laptop, hoping to find some visual solace from traffic and lifeless buildings. I am, if you will, looking for my inner peace. From what could I possibly want peace from? Can not even one person agree that "everything" is enough to suffice for an answer? Thank you.

Certainly there are practical ways to mentally, emotionally, and spiritually remove one's self from the hectic hustle-and-bustle of modern society. But what I seek is the freshness of virgin air (or what could be the least polluted), bright sun (or un-American cloudiness), and Nature's song (or, again, I will settle for anything not-so-American). I basically want to fly from this mainland for something new despite the obvious and ever-so-celebrated diversity of the American scenery.

I don't want the sunset-draped beaches of the Western American Coastline. I don't want the rolling hills or the endless valleys offered by the Midwest. I don't want quaint Eastern life nor the bright-city lights that drape the North-East. I don't want the national forests (at least for right now). I don't want... home.


I want the tribal hospitalities of Pacific-Island nations (Hawaii is the closest I may tolerate, but only to enjoy family property on the island of Kauai). I want the fresh coconut juice and the papaya that tastes sweeter when picked straight from the tree by my own hands. I want to walk the road of the European country-side and perhaps even sample the historic cobblestones of ancient cities. I want to listen to the ocean with waves either violently crashing amongst the rocks and cliffs or peacefully grazing the sand.

But in order to get that piece of foreign relaxation (even sans the luxury), I must give up my momentous peace that I was graciously allowed by lying in bed 2 hours and 25 minutes past midnight.

These are my little treasures.